If you have upgraded to a new PC and are wondering how to move your Steam Games into that, then you have come to the right place. Following these simple methods, you would be able to transfer your Steam Games to other PC without reinstalling or downloading them again.
Use Steam Files to Transfer Games Directly
This is probably the easiest method to transfer files without having them downloaded again. This method is 100 percent working and free of cost. Follow through this guide to know how to transfer steam game files from one pc to another.
In order to move the Steam game, copy the steam game files from the Steam Platform or using the File Explorer window. Follow these steps in order to move the game directly from the explorer.
- Steam games are available in steam apps/common folder.
- Once you find the default location, you can directly move the file into the local drive for copying it at the desired location or to another pc.
If you wish to use the Steam client, you can follow the given steps.
- Go to the Steam app and click on settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click on downloads and then open library folders.
- Once you open the library folders, you will see an option to add a new folder. Click on that option and add a new library folder.
- You will be asked about the desired location, click on the location where you want to save the file.
- Go to the Steam library and then select the game you want.
- Click on properties and then open the local files tab then click on the move install folder.
- Now click on the directory and then choose to move the folder and then choose the same folder.
- After successfully transferring files to external hard disk, connect this drive to the new pc and move files to your location.
- Successfully perform the given steps and then start the steam and reinstall the games.
- Make sure you select the desired location in your new PC for games to install.
- You will see a notification on your screen from Steam stating ‘Discovering Existing File For’… this message indicates that you have successfully transferred the games. if you fail to receive this message, recheck where the process went wrong.
- This method allows you to transfer files quickie.
Transfer Steam Game Files Via Steam Backup
The above method works best if you wish to transfer one or two files but if you wish to transfer bulk files then this is the right method for you.
The best part about this is it is less time consuming and allows the bulk transfer of files as well as Paid and Free Steam Games.
Follow through these steps to transfer files via Steam Backup
- Before transferring files, Check the storage on your new PC and decide the location for the files that are to be transferred from the old PC.
- If there is enough space, Start the backup process.
- open Directory and go C drive and click on the Program Files folder.
- Now click on steam apps and then choose common and then click on Game name.
- Backup all these files.
- Open the Steam app and open steam library.
- go to the game option and choose backup Games Files.
- You will see a list of games, select the ones you wish to transfer.
- You will then be asked about the location, select the location, and transfer it to a local drive.
- Now, you will be asked If you need a CD if you are using External Data Storage or USB, click on the DVD option.
- Click on finish, once the process is completed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Uninstalling Steam delete games?
Yes, if you delete the Steam App, your games and game progress will automatically get deleted.
Can I play free games on Steam?
Yes, apart from the paid games, there are various free steam games, that you can enjoy.
Do I need to create an account to play games on Steam?
Yes, you need to create an account to play games on Steam.